Total Pageviews

Thursday 20 February 2014

Anya's Animal Themed Birthday Party - Lion Cut Out

I wanted to do an animal, preferably a lion cut out. The idea was to paint whiskers on kids and then take a picture at the cut out. I gave some thought to this matter and came up with a brilliant idea. I say it's brilliant because I could do one of my favourite things in the world - reuse:) Let me elaborate. I had these surf boards from last year's Hawaiian themed party. Yes, I'm a hoarder and nothing gives me more pleasure than to reinvent stuff.


I took away the hibiscus flowers (those of you who know me well, would have guessed it...I have saved them too!!), and started contemplating. It struck me that these surfboard colors were perfect for a lion - I wouldn't even have to repaint! 

I drew  the lion's face on the rust board and the torso on orange one. Then I cut them out with a pair of sharp scissors. The face was joined to the body with allpins and toothpicks. To support the lion, I placed a bamboo pole behind it.





I retrieved the grass from my friend's work. As the color had faded, a green coat was done and it looked as fresh as new. I placed the grass at the lion's feet, which also saved me the need to draw the lion's paws! Yeah, smart me:) I also gave a fresh coat to the lion's body and face.

I had a wish to use this IKEA leaf as a prop somewhere in the decor because it was so apt for the jungle-animal theme. I placed the lion under the leaf. The way it all came together was fantastic. 



I fell in love with the lion and so did my guests. It's another matter that, ironically, I had a tough time keeping the lion safe from kids:) 

It was very satisfying to make this cut out and to know that kids enjoyed it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment